Beginning November 20, Hershey Public library offers patrons an extensive digital collection for reading, watching and listening enjoyment through hoopla.
Stream on mobile devices with the FREE hoopla app through the App Store (see below), or on a computer in your web browser at www.hoopladigital.com.
With the hoopla app on mobile devices, you can download digital content for offline use to watch movies and listen to movies and audiobooks. Sorry, no downloading to computers; streaming only.
The platform is simple, intuitive and free to patrons with a Hershey Public Library card beginning with 2901. Best of all, there is NO WAITING for titles, and the collection contains half a million titles and is growing every day!! Titles are automatically returned and removed from your device at the end of the lending period, and it’s possible to return titles early. Sorry, no holds and no renewals, but wait; NO OVERDUE FEES! Need help? hoopla FAQs.
What is available on hoopla?
FULL MUSIC ALBUMS
COMICS and GRAPHIC NOVELS
Here are some great features of hoopla:
- Music albums can be listened in their entirety or shuffled between other checked out albums.
- hoopla’s eReader, Action View, is interactive, allowing a comic book to be read panel by panel!
- hoopla has a Kid’s Mode setting, allowing young people access to content geared towards ages 12 and under.
Number of downloads permitted per patron:
5 titles per patron
Lending period varies:
- Audiobook titles will be lent for 21 day
- Ebook titles will be lent for 21 days
- Comic titles will be lent for 21 days
- Music titles will be lent for 7 days
- Television titles will be lent for 3 days
- Movie titles will be lent for 3 days
Set up your hoopla account:
- For first time users, register for a hoopla account by visiting www.hoopladigital.com
- Choose Hershey Public Library from the dropdown box. (Enable location services in your browser to allow hoopla to find nearby libraries.)
- Enter your information
- After creating your hoopla account, all you have to do is click the login box and enter your e-mail address and password. Watch a video to show you how to register.
Ready to borrow:
- After you have set up your account, you can borrow titles by downloading, installing and signing into the mobile app, or signing into the website at hoopla, and browse all available content.
- Once you select a title you can click “Borrow All” on the format (Music, Movies, Audiobooks, eBooks, Comics and Television) you would like to browse further on. You can also search for a specific title by clicking the “Search” box
- Borrowed titles will be added to your “My Titles” menu. From there you can immediately play the title on your mobile device or PC.
How does borrowing work?
Every month on the first, borrows reset to 5. All titles that are borrowed will remain active on your account for the full lending period regardless of what day that you borrowed them on. You can use all five borrows on the last day of the month and you’ll continue to have access to these titles until they expire. Borrows do not roll over to the next month so if you don’t use all five, you will lose them.
Can I keep a history of titles I borrowed?
Yes, once you return an item, or an item returns on its own (lending period is up) that title will be included in your history. If you have history turned off, it will not record your borrowing history. You always have the option of borrowing a title again, however, it will cost another borrow.
Can I return titles early?
Yes, but you are only able to borrow five titles a month regardless of if you return a title early or not.
To watch movies and TV shows on your television.
hoopla supports Chromecast, Apple TV and Fire TV. You may also connect your mobile device to the TV with a HDMI cable to mirror movies/TV shows from the hoopla app to the TV screen.
For computers: To watch movies in a web browser, please check this list to see if you need to add a plug-in called Widevine. Please note: Movies and TV shows can be streamed with the Kindle Fire HDX but they cannot be downloaded at this time.
- Google Chrome: No plugin is required for playback.
- Microsoft Edge: No plugin is required for playback.
- Mozilla Firefox: Widevine is required for video playback.
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 11 (Windows 8.1 & 10): Flash is required for video playback.
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 11 (Windows 7 & 8): Microsoft Silverlight is required for video playback.
- Safari: Microsoft Silverlight is required for video playback.
Apps – ALL content is available to you in one all-inclusive mobile app or website.