Friday, October 26, 2018.
Design an edible creation based on the wonderful world of books! National Friends of the Library Week is October 21 to 27. Please join us on Friday, October 26 to view and vote for literary-inspired culinary creations! Register in advance to enter your own edible book. Registration forms and contest rules available at the front desk, or download a copy below. You can also register to enter online.
Entries may be entered as: Adult (18+), Youth (8-17), or Group or Organization (all contestants’ names MUST be on the registration form)
Submit your own entry or just stop by, enjoy refreshments and cast your ballot to select a winner for the three categories:
- Book Title or Character Representation
- People’s Choice Award
Edible Book Contest paper entry form Must be submitted by October 24.
Edible Book Contest online entry form Must be submitted by October 24.
Schedule of Events for Friday, October 26. NOTE: No entries will be admitted after 12:00 noon.
10:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. Pre-registered entrants bring their creations to the Hershey Public Library meeting rooms.
1:00 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. Event opens to the public. Entries will be displayed for viewing, judging, and voting.
4:00 p.m. Awards ceremony. Contestants do not have to be present to win. Three prizes will be awarded: Book Title or Character Representation, Funniest/Punniest, and People’s Choice.
4:30 p.m. Removal of entries. Anything not picked up by 5 PM will be disposed of.
Edible Book Contest Rules
1. Each edible creation must be a representation of a favorite fictional or non-fictional literary work (edible books can look like a book in form and shape, be inspired by a book or author, can be a pun of a book title, can refer to a book character, reproduce a book cover, or just have something to do with books in general).
2. Entries may be entered as a single person or as a two (2) person team. In the event that a team enters, both contestants’ names MUST be on the registration form.
3. Each creation must be your own! (Cannot enter someone else’s creation).
4. Each food creation must be at least 95% edible. Edible means made of food or foodstuffs (cake, bread, Jell-O, fruit, vegetables, candy, etc).The base can be no larger than 18×24 inches. The creation will be without refrigeration and on display, so it must not be made of extremely perishable ingredients (can sit out for over two hours without melting, turning bad, or getting scary).
5. Creation must be on a disposable base (cardboard/plywood/etc.) and will be discarded at the end of the contest if contestant does not pick up their creation by disposal time (5:00 p.m. on Friday, October 26). The Hershey Public Library, its staff, and the Friend’s group is not liable for any personal items that are brought into the library.
6. Complete the official entry form available at the Library. By entering this contest, the creator of the “edible book” is giving the library and the Friends group permission to photograph and publish information (from hereafter) on the creation and its creator on, but not limited to, any library publication, publications from the Friends and other community publications of the
library’s choosing such as the local newspapers as well as promotional materials by co-sponsoring organizations.
7. Registration forms must be filled out and turned into the Library by Wednesday, October 24 @ 8:00 p.m.
8. Each edible book entry will be judged on the following criteria: (a) Originality and Creativity; (b) Skill and Construction; (c) Visual Appeal; and (d) tie-In with the Literary Work being depicted.
9. Each creation should have a copy of the book used for the creations along with entry or a picture of the book.
10. Contestants DO NOT HAVE TO BE PRESENT at awards ceremony to receive prize.
11. All entries must be family friendly. Your age must be included if under the age of 18. The judges reserve the right to reject any entries which are considered to be inappropriate.
12. Edible book entries must be submitted to the library between 10:00 a.m. and 11:00 a.m. on Friday, October 26, 2018.