CyberSmarts is part of Power Library, and a resource for information for parents and children on how to deal with important safety issues through an interactive e-book collection. For children grades 3 – 6. For older children, select Teen CyberSmarts for help with cyberbullying and social networking.
Avoiding Predators Online
Playing Games Online
Protecting Your Privacy Online
Using Social Networks
Online resources for families concerning Internet safety can be found at:
- Cyberbullying Research Center – Resources for parents.
- FBI Cyber Surf Islands – Safe Online Surfing for kids.
- Trade Commission Consumer Information– Guide: Talk to your Kids about Internet Safety.
- www.wiredsafety.org – Maintains several sites devoted to Internet safety for all ages.
- www.NetFamilyNews.org – Kid-tech news for parents.
- Google Safety Center – Tools to guide parents and children.
- www.netsmartz.org – The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children has many safety resources for families.
The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children recommends this contract between parents and cyber-savvy children.
I will not give out personal information such as my address, telephone number, parents’ work address/telephone number, or the name and location of my school without my parents’ permission.
I will tell my parents right away if I come across any information that makes me feel uncomfortable.
I will never agree to get together with someone I “meet” online without first checking with my parents. If my parents agree to the meeting, I will be sure that it is in a public place and bring my mother or father along.
I will never send a person my picture or anything else without first checking with my parents.
I will not respond to any messages that are mean or in any way make me feel uncomfortable. It is not my fault if I get a message like that. If I do, I will tell my parents right away so that they can contact the online service.
I will talk with my parents so that we can set up rules for going online. We will decide upon the time of day that I can be online, the length of time I can be online and appropriate areas for me to visit. I will not access other areas or break these rules without their permission.